Michigan's Only President Dies and Leaves An Admirable Though Misunderstood Legacy.


As a member of the Muskegon Democratic party, which is filled with baby-boomers who lived through the Watergate era, my praise of President Gerald R. Ford might garner from criticism. I felt it was important to eulogize President Ford because, as someone whose pre-adult life in West Michigan was similar to Ford's, I felt a certain sadness upon hearing the news that the 38th President of the United States had died.

Ford’s Midwestern sensibilities are similar those that I have sought to embrace through public life. What I admire most about Gerald Ford is that he was able to bring wholesome everyman qualities to the American presidency in a way that was unrehearsed and that has not since been replicated, though his sucecessor Jimmy Carter tried with such hapless acts as flaunting the fact that he carried his own luggage onto Air Force One. Ford was able to bring common-man appeal to the White House without fetishising the appearance of disengagement the way our current President does. The rise to power of someone with Ford’s particular quality of character could only happen under the unique circumstances under which he ascended to the Presidency. Nominated for the Vice Presidency by Richard Nixon and confirmed by a justifiably angry Democratic congress because of his affable and agreeable nature, this bizarre set of circumstances saw to it that Gerald Ford was perhaps the last average Joe to be President of the United States.

Ford’s common-man qualities served the Presidency well. The first month of the Ford Presidency was marred so much by the Watergate scandal that Ford felt that he was unable to spend any time fulfilling his Presidential responsibilities. Because of this, Ford pardoned Nixon so that he could focus on governing. Many still accuse Ford of promising a pardon to Nixon in exchange for a nomination to the Vice Presidency. Each of the men have since reported that Nixon had said to Ford that then Texas Governor John Connelly was Nixon’s choice to run for President in 1976. Ford knew that he would suffer politically for the Nixon pardon, but he cared more about governing effectively than winning elections, which is an ethical protocol that many American’s wish today’s leaders would follow.

Gerald Ford’s Michigan heritage made him the right man to lead the nation after a generation of arrogant and imperial Presidencies. In my sadness of Ford’s death, I have hope that his memory will serve as a reminder to this nation’s future leaders. His ambition for results, effectiveness, and his rejection of divisive politics should serve as a beacon of excellence for those who will campaign to succeed President Bush in 2008









Click Here To See My Eulogy Of Ronald Reagan.

4 comments. Got something to say? Come at me, bro.

  1. Sarah  

    December 30, 2006 at 9:42 PM

    his museaum is one of my favorite ones to go to, i try to go every year. I always found him intriguing. Probably because he was so personable.

  2. kristen  

    January 4, 2007 at 5:30 PM

    I like(d) FOrd...I really like all these post death interviews/statements that are surfacing...BUT
    1. Why the HECK wouldn't he go public before he died with his opinions. He had nothing to lose yet his party would have had everything to gain had he cashed in on some of his clout.

    2. I don't know how I feel about him being a "common man" and that being "great." I don't want a President who is common. I don't want to feel I could whip our President's ass in a battle of wits. I don't want an average jane. I WANT GREATNESS. I WANT JFK....OR CLINTON...our president needs to be respected.

    P.S. I know that FOrd was really smart and I actually don't think I would have beaten him in a battle of wits. But I would love to take on Dubya.

  3. Dr. James McSaddle  

    January 4, 2007 at 7:40 PM

    1.) Gerald Ford did not go public before his death because those who have been President understand that only the guy in the hot seat can truly comprehend the challenges of the office and that criticism from former Presidents might cause the public to unfairly pre-judge a particular individual in the Presidency.

    Jimmy Carter has no affection for such protocol, but that’s Carter for you.

    Ford disagreed a lot with Reagan (Ford thought the GOP should be a centrist party) and Clinton (thought he was less than honest about the Lewinski affair) but he never made it his personal mission to discredit any President.

    Ford wasn’t so much a common man, but brought common accessible qualities to the Presidency at a time when it was very important for Americans to stop hating public officials the way they hated LBJ and Nixon. After a generation of Imperial Presidencies, that down-homeness mixed with his impressive intellect was an excellent formula for the Presidentcy. As I said, he was able to be accessible and familiar without appearing disengaged like President Retard.

    I would love to take on Dubya and Cheney in a Parli round, I am usually a PM/MO if you want to see about setting that up.

  4. kristen  

    January 4, 2007 at 7:41 PM

    i love carter. LOVE.